Sunday 10 March 2019

It's a bit like being at the dentist!


That’s probably not how you would expect me to describe your wedding cake consultation is it?  But it really is.  I will encourage you to eat lots of cake, and whilst you are busy eating it, I will be asking you lots of questions!  Just like when you’re at the dentist, it will be difficult to answer the questions!  😊

Seriously, what can you expect at your consultation?


Firstly, I hold the consultations in my quite small studio.  That is why I will generally ask you to limit the consultation to two of you only.  I can, by prior arrangement, accommodate a third person, like your Mum if she is the very kind person paying for your cake and wants to have an input.  As the space is small it really isn’t suitable for children, so I do ask you please to leave them with Granny for a while if possible. 

I always offer at least four different flavours of cake for you to try.  Usually there will be two of my more popular flavours and very often I like to throw in a wild card flavour!  This month I have given all the couples Pina Colada cake to try, and they have all absolutely loved it with about six couples actually ordering a tier of Pina Colada.  I don’t normally offer fruit cake or carrot cake, but I can do that by prior arrangement and if enough notice is given.   I will also serve freshly brewed coffee, tea or water to drink. 

And then, it is really a case of deciding how many portions of cake you will need and therefore how big the cake will be.  When we know the size of the cake required, we can talk about a design.  I will ask you about the colour scheme of your wedding, about your flower choices, etc.   If you have seen cakes which you like elements of please do bring along the pictures to show me.  It’s also very helpful if you have any colour swatches and pictures of flowers from your florist.


The consultation normally takes about an hour. 

After the consultation I will prepare a full quotation for you, detailing all the elements of the design we have agreed.  I will give you a really rough sketch (and I mean really rough 😊) if I think it will help you to picture the design.  This will all be emailed to you, usually within a day of our meeting. 

I always try to stress that if the quotation is more than you expected, that you should tell me.  It may be that the design can be adjusted to fit your budget, or I can give you a design that will fit your budget.  A good rule of thumb is ‘the simpler the cake the lower the price’.  If you want a cake festooned with sugar flowers it will obviously be very much more than a naked style wedding cake with minimal decoration. 

Quotations are valid for two weeks after they are issued.  

This doesn’t guarantee that the availability for your date will remain, but I will notify you if I have other interest in the same date in the interim.  Your cake is confirmed as soon as the reservation deposit is paid.

It’s all very painless, and that’s where it might differ from going to the dentist!

Sonja x






No comments:

Post a Comment