Tuesday 8 January 2019

Confessions of a lazy blogger!

Happy New Year Everybody! 

This would seem like an appropriate time to talk about good intentions, and how sometimes good
intentions fall by the wayside!  Back in 2016 when I set up this blog attached to my website, I had so many good intentions to keep it going by regaling you all with tales from the little cottage, but I cannot hide the fact that I have been an abject failure!  I am going to try again and try harder!  I promise!  So here goes with my first post of 2019!   Notice I said 'first'....

Firstly, thank you, thank you, thank you!  I owe you a debt of gratitude.  You, and all my other lovely customers, have helped make 2018 the most successful year yet for Little Cottage Cakes.  I made more wedding cakes in 2018 than in any other year, and it didn’t stop there.  I made many other celebration cakes and cupcakes too.  This week is the second anniversary of having my new studio, which was built as I had outgrown my kitchen.  At some points this year it felt like I had also outgrown the studio! 

De Vere Horsley Estate

I have delivered wedding cakes to some wonderful venues in 2018, from the grandeur of the De Vere Horsley Estate and The Orangery at Kew Gardens, to uniquely special back garden marquees.  Some have had beautiful home-made decorations and home-grown flowers from Granny's garden to decorate, and some have chic and exquisite decorations. I just love seeing them all, and seeing the huge range of colours, design ideas and sheer creativity of my customers.  Your weddings are all so different, yet the one thing all these venues had in common, was that they were filled with love, laughter, family and friends……and obviously cake!  😊
The Orangery at Kew Gardens

The cakes I made have been big and small, elaborate and simple, each one crafted to the taste and style of the couple getting married.  Some have challenged me more than others.  Kirsty and Mick’s Pool and Golf themed hidden reveal cake will stay in my memory for a long time.  It is a highlight for me to make such a uniquely personal cake.  And Sophie and Hunor’s all chocolate cake challenged me more than I could ever have imagined!  I had to deliver this chocolate extravaganza to a marquee on the hottest day of the hottest summer.  I think even Hades would have found it hot.  We all know that the combination of heat and chocolate don’t go well together!  I won’t bore you with the details but it started to melt, once alerted I rushed back, took it away again, re-ganached it and brought it back when the temperature had cooled a little and the couple were ready to cut it.   I do say on my website that it is my job to make sure that my clients do not have to worry about the cake on their wedding day, so true to my word, to this day Sophie and Hunor are unaware of the ‘issues’.  On the plus side, I actually got to see them cut the cake, which doesn’t happen very often.
Kirsty & Mick's cake

The summer of 2018 was a very challenging one for cake-makers.  Our product is not very good at withstanding such hot temperatures, and sometimes the venues we deliver to are old buildings without the luxury of air-conditioning.  It has caused me, and other cake-makers, to make slight adjustments to cakes to ensure they stay upright and perfect for your celebrations.  To that end, I also invested in air-conditioning for my studio.  Please don’t blame me if we never have another hot summer! 

I’m nearly always asked what the most popular flavours for cakes is when couples are trying to decide the flavours for their wedding cake tiers.  There do seem to be flavour fashions. 
At the height of fashion in 2018 were salted caramel, cherry Bakewell, lemon, chocolate and traditional vanilla.  Good old-fashioned fruit cakes are making a reappearance.  I made a few in 2018, and have orders for five so far in 2019.  Fruit-cake is one type of cake that we don’t have to worry about in hot weather, so I am personally pleased to see it making a comeback!

I learned a few new skills in 2018, making sugar orchids and chrysanthemum and learning how to decorate sugar cookies with royal icing.  I’m looking forward to putting all my new skills to use this year. 

So, here we are in January.   How did that happen?!   I have a few wedding fairs to attend and hope to see some of you there.  The first one for me is beautiful Trunkwell House on 27th January (details available from Berkshire Wedding Fairs) and then the week after, on 3rd February I will be at Lismoyne Hotel in Fleet (details available from Prestige Wedding Fairs).   I will also be at Sandford Springs and Casa Hotel as I am preferred supplier to both these venues (dates to be confirmed).

My diary for this year is filling up quickly, with May virtually fully booked.  If you do have requirements for cake please contact me sooner, rather than later, to avoid disappointment. 
I have lots of lovely wedding cakes booked in. 

I’m particularly looking forward to making another three hidden reveal cakes, where the front gives
Protea Flower
the appearance of a traditional wedding cake, while the back hides a clue to the couple’s interests.   And you all know how much I love a sugar flower, so you can expect to see lots of those too, and I have the challenge of making a South African Protea flower! 😊

My chosen charity for this year will again be The Brain Tumour Charity.  I hope to announce a few fund-raisers over the year.  Despite losing my beloved Ian to a brain tumour in October, I will continue to raise funds to help others, as he helped me, especially with regard to funding my new studio and providing constant business guidance, both of which I will be forever grateful for.

I am hoping to add a page to my website with links to other wedding suppliers and venues that I work with and am happy to recommend.  When I have that completed I will share the link via Facebook and Instagram.

I am travelling to Cardiff in February with three of my cake making sisters.  We are all entering the Welsh National Cake Competition.  I will hopefully have more success than I did at Cake International in Birmingham! 

And most exciting of all……I am hoping to add another product to my portfolio.  I can’t say too much yet, watch this space.  There might be some freebies and competitions when I am ready to launch.

Thank you for taking the time to read my little update.  Now place your bets as to whether you think I can reform and be a good blogger in 2019!








No comments:

Post a Comment